Appointment: 1997 to present
HSG has been involved in the Greater Edendale and Vulindlela Development Initiative (GEVDI) since 1997 through one of its founding partners, Dave Smyly. The initiative started as a joint project between the Department of Human Settlements and Msunduzi Municipality but has since included other departments such as COGTA, Rural Development and Land Reform.
- Land-legal services, as well as general legal advice
- Drafting policies
- Dealing with tenure conflict resolutions and tenure rectifications
- Ensuring compliance with applicable legislation
- Acquisition of land and conveyancing
Palm Lakes Estate
Appointment: 2005 to Present
HSG has been involved in the establishment and development of Palm Lakes Estates since the estate’s inception in 2005. Initially this was carried out through the firm’s founding directors, Shaun Hornby and Dave Smyly, who were part of the professional team that obtained the initial development rights. HSG was then appointed as the official conveyancers for the estate, and remain as such to this day.
- Opening township registers for new phases
- Establishing sectional title schemes
- Transferring freehold and sectional titles erven from the developer
- Transferring titles for re-sales
Appointment: 1994 to Present
HSG has served the First Group (previously known as the Club Leisure Group) as legal advisors, attorneys and conveyancers for many years. Shaun Hornby was extensively involved in the establishment of the clubs and the structure within the First Group – a structure that remains to date.
- Establishing clubs and group structure
- Ongoing sectional-title conversions and transfers
Appointment: 2015 to Present
HSG is a member of the MAJV. This entity, led by GeoAfrika, is responsible for the efficient management of SANRAL’s extensive property portfolio. The firm’s role is in the property management of the portfolio, which has resulted in HSG employing more than 60 staff members dedicated to the project.
- Management of leases, acquisitions, sales and maintenance of properties
- Identification of land parcels and the management of transfers
- The drafting and management of all property-related agreements
- The establishment of sound policies and procedures to ensure proper execution and supply-chain management
- The provision of statutory control support to officers implementing the provisions of the enabling legislation in order to ensure compliance with that legislation as well as the Promotion of Administrative Justice Act